Monday, September 15, 2008

Morning reflections

The Sweetie and I took our little visitor to Big "Donald's for breakfast. It was packed, of course!
Many places are still closed due to storm damage. When people find a place open they flock in.
As our visitor played I thought about the changes I've seen through the years.

First of all, Dads and their children.

I see Dads picking their kids up from school. I see them shopping together. I see Dads taking one or two children out for breakfast or lunch. Didn't happen in my childhood.

I NEVER remember going anyplace alone with my father. However, I did go shopping with my Grandfather a few times. He would take me to the feed store with him, and got to pick out the chicken feed since the bags it came in would become a skirt once they were empty. It was wonderful to have two bags in the same pattern -- they would make a really full skirt.

I think it is sweet to see a Dad and a child having breakfast together -- especially if he is listening to what the child has to say. What a special thing, to have that togetherness.

Has the whole world changed? or is it that fathers have a different view of their child responsibilities now. Is it all fathers? If not, what makes the difference -- education? Economic status? Perhaps some Dads were that way back (way back) when I was small, but I didn't see it.

2 comments:

lavenderkitten said...

lots of possibilities here ... maybe mom works night or morning shifts, and dad is the caregiver? i know families who strongly believe in the concept of "dating" your children. jim and liz have gone out on a few dates over the years. but in general, i think fathers could be more intentional nowadays about establishing strong relationships with their kids. and sometimes it could have a lot to do with a family's financial situation. maybe back then, your dad was too focused on just trying to put food on the table for a family of 6 to think about anything else. and maybe the idea just hadn't taken root yet in general society. it wasn't a bandwagon yet. another possibility is that in the modern age when so many fathers have the opportunity to telecommute and set their own hours, it opens up opportunities for family interaction that weren't available in the "olden days" when a man was expected to be at his office from 8 to 5. there are days when jim's got nothing going on and he comes downstairs and gets a Wii tournament going. it helps make up for the weeks when he's traveling and we don't see him much. lots of differences in today's society from back then.

limpingalong said...

Yes, as we decided, it is a different world.