Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Our temperature up and down is still going on -- 70's one day and then 50's the next. A cold front is blowing through tonight. I have uncovered most all of the plants so I hope we do not get another freeze.

Today was class -- I was totally frustrated and told my students that I was. They learned that new word, frustrated! I was unhappy with students showing up late time after time, not doing the small assignments I give them for homework, and leaving during class to talk on the phone on a regular basis, and missing class without letting me know why. This is the worse class I have ever had as far as those things are concerned. I think they understood -- one girl got a call but she silenced her phone and did not leave the class.

We studied the long and short U words, and reviewed all of the vowel sounds. They asked for this study of vowel pronunciation but I am not sure they learned much of it. We also talked about Christmas -- the difference between religious and secular holidays and we discussed different holidays and determined which they were. We also looked at the holidays Christmas and Easter and determined what part of them was religious and what part was secular. Each told the class if Christmas was celebrated in their native country and if so, how.

One student, A, showed up with a friend who wanted to join the class. I allowed her to join because she will be an asset. She is fluent in French, almost fluent in Spanish and has a good command of English. She understood everything I said, which is good. Not all of my students understand everything I say. I do a lot of "face reading" to see if they are understanding. We made sentences and talked about the difference between "may" and "can." By the time the class was over I was feeling better about what we had accomplished.

Next week is our last class for 2009 -- we will have some treats. Then we will take a three week break.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Anita. You have what we would call over here a tough job. I have a job to speak English myself and I'm actually English!!