Yesterday Sweetie and I visited Hamilton Pool. For years we have traveled hwy 71 across the south side of Austin and on to the Marble Falls area. For years we have seen the sign "Hamilton Pool Road." For years I have wondered what it was. Now I know.
Hamilton Pool is a natural "swimming hole" and is part of the Travis County Park System. By virtue of having lived more than 62 years our visit was free!
We parked and climbed down 80+ feet by way of a steep rocky trail -- some places steps had been fashioned and in some places we just scrambled over the rocks. The view was worth the climb, however. The pool is fed by a lovely waterfall. There were people swimming and sunning and picnicking. A path (narrow in places) allows you to walk all the way around the pool, passing behind the waterfall.
We explored the pool area, took pictures, and then moved on to another nearby park, the uplands area of this park. There we were able to hike down to the Perdanales River. I'll post some other pictures of the day's outing on a separate blog.
The best part was that....due to the fact we live in a two-story house and have to climb stairs every day, and due to the fact that my body is now 30+ pounds lighter, I was able to make the climbs up and down in great shape! Hooray!!

No comments:
Post a Comment