Friday, June 17, 2011

Savannah

During our recent loooong trip we visited Savannah, Georgia. Savannah is a beautiful city and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing the historical district.

I think there is a song that says, "I'm walking to (or through) New Orleans." Well, I was singing, "I'm walking in Savannah!" Even though we took a on and off trolley I still managed to walk quite a bit -- actually, made blisters on both feet!

There are several ways to tour Savannah -- the trolley, as we did, or on foot, by horse drawn carriage, by pedicab (powered by bicycle), or even by Segway (Is that spelled correctly?) Of course, one can also drive through in their own car but you don't get the history that way.

horse-drawn tour....


The Hampton Lillibridge House, believed to be haunted. Sweetie is a descendant of this family so this house was for one of his far-distant cousins. It was designed by a Rhode Island architect and is New England style complete with a widow's walk.



A lovely example of the city archicture -- the two stairways were for women on one side and men on the other (to prevent men from seeing the ankles of the women as they climbed the stairs.)



A memorial to the Haitian soldiers that helped defend Savannah during the civil war. Who knew? I sure didn't.


Crowds waiting to get in to Paula Deen's restaurant. The woman with the apron, triangle and ringer had just announced that the restaurant was open for lunch.


First African Baptist Church, built in 1859 by members of the congregation. The church was started in 1773 and is the oldest Black church in North America. There are tours available but we weren't there at the right times.


There is more from Savannah but this will get you started on your blog tour of this lovely southern city.

1 comment:

Micki said...

I visited Savannagh many, many years ago, so I enjoyed seeing the pics. Thanks for sharing!
Micki