Friday, March 20, 2009

First day of spring!

Yes, this anniversary day is the first day of spring, 2009. I was just looking out my office window and it was so obvious! The three trees -- Chinese Elm, Water Oak, and Red Oak are all in the leafing-out process. They will eventually block most of my view of the meadow behind our house but now I can still see some of it and there seems to be a good crop of pink primrose blooming. The rain has encouraged everything to bloom!

A squirrel is scampering around in the Water Oak, finding breakfast -- or is it lunch? or a mid-morning snack? Over in the red oak a huge white wing dove is grooming herself. I can hear the doves -- probably Incas and mourning doves -- with their plaintive call, a sound that I love.

Our azaleas are blooming like crazy. We have the short variety but in other neighborhoods I see the taller azalea bushes in full bloom. They are a lovely sight. I love this time of year! So much color and so much promise. A world renewing itself.
WELCOME TO SPRING!

No comments: