Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I'm back home! It is hot but who cares, I'm home. Sweetie will be home before long -- we are dining out with our friend, Mickey D, and the Sweetie will ride out to choir practice and I'll spend a typical evening at home.

I left Mom feeling a little sad -- at first she was sad she wasn't going home with me and then she perked up and reminded herself that she had lots of things planned that were going to be fun.
Her friend H was to pick her up tomorrow morning so they could go to the assisted living place and help the "old people" play bingo, then they were going out to lunch and perhaps shopping.
They had declared that Thursdays will be "their" girl's day out.
When I called to let her know I was home her time had gone so fast that she was amazed that it had been 3 hours. She had already re-made my bed so that it was ready for me (or someone else) to come and visit again.

Before I left I watered the yard front and back, carried three tied bundles of twigs out to the curb, rolled out the big trash dumpster, taught Mother how to use the Wetjet mop (my Dad always did the mopping,) and stripped my bed so she could do her laundry. I didn't get away until 9:30 am but made it home in 3 hours and didn't rush.

We have signed her up for Life Alert -- the "alarm" system where she will wear a necklace that will allow her to call for help from anywhere within 150 feet of her house. This will make her feel more secure. Falling in the yard, in 103 deg. temperature, and having to lie there for hours before anyone happen to see/hear her would not be a good thing. This way she can call for help immediately. Another good feature, that specifically addresses a fear I have, is a smoke detector that will be mounted in her house. As soon as smoke is detected they will begin alerting her and will call the fire department directly (not 911) If she has simply burned the toast she will have an opportunity to respond, but if there is a problem they will wake her up and direct her out of the house. That makes me feel better about her situation.

I was wondering if anyone out there has any personal experience with Life Alert. If so, would you please give me your opinion?

Meanwhile, take care, everyone, stay cool and pray for rain!!

1 comment:

Pat said...

Glad you got those peace-of-mind systems in place for your mom. I like the fabrics you showed, too.