If you watch daytime TV you have probably seen advertisements for Debbie Meyer GreenBags. The ads say that they will keep your produce fresh for much longer than normal. I tend to be a bit skeptical and watched those ads with comments like, "Yeah, right."
Recently, however, a cousin told me that she had purchased the bags and that they really did work and that she was saving money because her produce wasn't spoiling.
Yeah, right. Hummmm, she wouldn't say that if it wasn't true, would she? Probably not. She's a pretty savvy gal.
So, I bought a box of the bags -- containing 10 large bags and 10 small bags.
We gave them a try. One of our biggest problems is keeping my Sweetie's bananas from turning a spotty brown before he could eat them. We put the bananas in the bag and . . . several days later, they still hadn't turned brown! He was amazed and gave his stamp of approval.
My hard veg to keep is cucumbers. They do go slimey pretty quickly and Sweetie doesn't help me eat them. So, I ate half of my cucumber and put the rest into a bag. A week later it was still good to eat! Amazing.
So, I'm giving them my stamp of approval. They do work, just like the TV commercial says they do! I'm still watching the process -- you can supposedly use each bag 8 - 10 times. They aren't cheap, so I think the verdict is still out as to whether or not I will save money in the long run, but it looks good so far. I'll let you know if my opinion changes. Have any of you used them? If so, what do you think?
P. S. I'm told the off-label bags do not work -- they have to be the real thing!
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wendy says your Dad was a handsome man!
i left the bananas in the green bag for a week, and while the outside was still nice and yellow, the inside did taste a little mushy and overripe. so they work really well but (i learned) you still can't leave things in there forever. we keep our broccoli in them and it doesn't turn yellow like it does in a regular bag, so i love that. good for zucchini too.
Post a Comment