Monday, March 30, 2009

Treasures


These pictures show a quilt that my Grandmother and Aunts made about 1933. It was machine sewn and hand embroidered. Aunt Cozy was born in 1925 and she was about 7 or 8 years old when she helped make the quilt -- her older sisters taught her how to do the embroidery. In later years Cozy gave me the quilt and I treasure it!

detail of one block

I can't help but wonder who wore the dresses that provided the scraps.


I've used the quilt as a table cloth on two occasions. (Covered by a clear plastic cover, of course.)
It seemed to fit the table theme I was using -- "Precious Memories -- Grandmother's Kitchen." I used some old kitchen utensils and an old pitcher full of flowers as my centerpiece. There is a picture somewhere, of how the table turned out. If I find it, I'll post it later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling quilt and its in very good condition too...I have several I've inherited that are precious to me too......

Pat said...

That quilt is wonderful and it's nice that you treasure it and take such good care of it. I would love to see the photo of your table set with that as the tablecloth, so I hope you can find it and post it.

Anonymous said...

Menifee is way south of Fresno, we are in southern California about 60 miles north of San Diego and inland.

Melanie said...

Beautiful sun bonnet Sue quilt. Love the cheery colors. I've even seen people cut a piece of glass and lay it over the quilt for meal time...Maybe it's the age, or maybe the fabric... but quilts just look different today don't they?