The garage sale is over! -- our CMA group -- Highway Disciples -- has had a fund raising garage sale the past two mornings. The proceeds go to our mission work around the world. The sale was set up on Thursday night -- at a friend's house -- the tables covered up overnight and then the sale opened at 7am on Friday morning and again on Saturday morning (today) It was 104 deg F on Friday -- today was a little cooler because of some cloud cover and a little breeze. High humidity, however, and that left everything and everyone limp. We raised a good bit of money and then donated the left-overs to the local KCM charity thrift store that is supported by all the churches in the area. Despite staying in the shade as much as possible and drinking gallons of water, Sweetie and I were still rather drained by the time we closed up shop today. A shower and shampoo helped, however, and we are both feeling better.
I have to admit that I shopped at bit at the sale. I found a wonderful quilting book, The Simple Joys of Quilting, that was left over and cost me $1.00 at the end of the sale. I also bought 4 Noritake plates -- pattern called Seaview -- I have a weakness for dishes and these were just beautiful. The pattern is discontinued (since 1986) but I'm happy with just my four plates.
I also bought a very attractive comforter that I might give to my Mom or that I might keep here. Verdict is out on that. I found some new items that I'm going to give as little gifts, and also a lovely pair of earrings. There was a wonderful set of lead crystal glassware that I bought and I donated and sold all of my old everyday glasses. They were so old and I was so tired of them. Now I have some beautiful new glasses! Sweetie and I cleaned out our coffee mug collection and sold 7 of them -- but, we still have a cabinet full!
I'm wondering if other countries have "Garage Sales" (perhaps you call them "Tag Sales." If so, do you enjoy shopping there? I'd love to hear from you.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Around here we call them yard sales or garage sales. I love them and myself and a couple of friends go almost weekly during the sale season (which runs from about end of April through October). I enjoy finding bargains. Today was the sale for our community and the two neighboring communities so we didn't have to go far. In the past few years, we have had a table to sell but this year we didn't. Instead, I am donating all my things (as I clean out closets and drawers) to a local thrift shop run by the area council of churches. I'm glad your sale went well!!!
In England a garage sale was held if you were moving house and wanted to get rid of whatever rather thasn take it with you. Boot sales are very popular here and in the UK.
I have to stay away from them as I tend to buy anything old, unusual or rusty!!
Do you have air conditioning as standard in your homes ther?
We have been through Canton but not during sale days. There is a smaller place near us -- Round Top -- and a friend has a permanent place there.
I used to live in Longview! It is amazing that we never met.
Doug, what is a boot sale?
Yes, we have a/c as standard in all but the poorest of houses.
In this area we have refrigerated a/c. In El Paso, where we used to live, we had evaporative coolers. Quite a bit of difference.
With refrigerated a/c one must keep the house closed up as all the cold air will flow out when doors or windows are open. That type of unit removed the excess humidity from the air.
With evaporative a/c the opposite is true. The unit works by blowing moist air into the house and there has to be some kind of opening for the air to flow out of or it won't work as efficiently.
Thanks for that information. Is it costly to run or is it offset by you not requiring central heating for nearly eight months of the year like us here!
I should have said Car Boot Sales. I think the idea came over here from the US where unwanted items are sold from the boot, or do you call it the trunk, of a car. It's now moved one stage further here and tables are usually set up to display the goods.
They are mostly held at weekends, Sundays usually, and often for charity.
Hope this helps.
Thinking about your evaporative system it must be the principle of evaporating moisture being colder as it evaporates.
My grandad used to keep a small barrel of cider under the stone sink with a wet sack draped over it and the cider was cooled as the sack dried out!
I wish Google would set up a spellcheck for comments!
In a previous life I was a plumber and heating installer and not once in nearly forty five years did I fit air conditioning!!!
I know that there are parts of this country that do not have a/c installed as a general rule. we visited northern Idaho and our friends didn't have a/c -- they would only have needed it for 6 weeks during the summer. They just used floor or ceiling fans. We use ceiling fans here, also, I have 4 in my house.
Post a Comment