Randomness , hummmm. I describe my blog as being "random thoughts about life in general," yet I am not a random person! I know this about myself and I generally tuck that knowledge away and don't dwell on it. However, I recently found myself laughing at myself and my inability to be truly random.
Let me explain.
During the quilt show I recently attended I sat in on a demonstration of a technique known as SSS -- I think that stands for Sort, Slash, and Sew. Those three words, I believe, but perhaps not in that exact order. It was one woman's method of using up scraps left from many sewing projects. She reminded us that each one of those scraps cost us about $9.00/yard. Yes, after the big, beautiful quilts are sewn, the leftover fabric costs us just as much as the fabric we used.
Her solution was to sort the fabric into groups.....perhaps one pile of brights, one of reproductions, one of calico, etc. Then, taking one pile we were instructed to start sewing them together, using The Outback's mantra "No Rules, Just Right." No worry about seams matching or seam size, or grain -- fabric to be picked up and sewn without paying attention to matching of colors, sizes, patterns, etc. Totally chosen at random. The piece she sewed as she spoke turned out to be about 3' long, and varied in width from 6 or 7 inches to 3 or four inches.
Then, at some point she would stop and cut a block in the size she had previously determined to be the right size, (she suggested that you use one of the smaller square rulers to determine the size, audition the fabrics through the ruler, make your cut, set the block aside and then sew the small remainder scraps from the cutting to the larger piece and just keep going, adding more fabric.)
OK -- I can do that and I have a lot of scraps!
But remember what I said at the start of this. I AM NOT A RANDOM PERSON!
I pulled out a big pile of scraps. I started sewing. Oops, another purple, let me see, perhaps a pink instead? (What happened to random?) I sewed and sewed and then left it all and fixed dinner. Later, with a lot surging through my brain, I returned to my SSS project and started sewing with half a mind on the fabric and the other half on some current situations.
Finally, I made a finishing seam and held the project up to be evaluated. With my random sewing I had made a rectangle -- sides quite perfectly matched. Oh, I had pieces of different sizes, shapes, and going in different directions, but it wasn't a long variable string of fabrics. I had sewn a rectangle about one foot by 2 feet, with harmonizing colors. I JUST HAD TO LAUGH AT MYSELF. I AM NOT A RANDOM PERSON! I don't think there is much hope for me. I can cut my blocks on the diagonal, and that will change the overall view of things, but random it isn't.
I had this same problem trying to do a brown paper bag quilt -- I cut the squares up, put them into the bag, shook them up, and then pulled two out and started sewing. True randomness lasted about 12 inches and then I started worrying about fabrics being sewn to colors that didn't match and patterns that clashed or repeated and it all went down the tubes from there!
I told my husband this story -- about laughing at myself -- and he just sat and looked at me with his brain grinding away. Finally he said, "It is sometimes scary how much we are alike!"
So, dear blog pals, perhaps my blog is made up of random thoughts but that is about all of me that can be random!
Sunday, August 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
OH I have a "soul" mate!!! I have the same problem--I start out with just pulling fabric's out of a bag--after about the third piece or earlier I start color watching and print sizing--!!!! So you are not alone-----!! I even have problems with "scrap" quilts--they are color co-ordinated Scrap quilts when I get them done!!! And I am so glad that someone else "laughs" at them selves--I have to laugh at myself all the time--I am always doing something????? Have a great day-week--hugs, just, Di
that was laugh out loud funny! very introspective. i guess unwittingly, you have a very organized mind. but i'm with you, i can't put fabrics together if they'll clash. it just isn't done. yuk, right?
thanks for the laugh :o)
Post a Comment