Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Challenge

I'm preparing a lesson for my ESL class which resumes Sept 9. I try to teach slang expressions because these are always hard for a non-native English speaker. I'm currently working on a lesson about the word "JACK' and all the many ways it is included in titles and slang expressions in English. I don't know why we use this name so much but we do....
in story titles.....Jack and Jill, Jack Sprat, Jack and the Beanstalk, etc.
.... a game -- Jacks
.....expressions -- "You don't know Jack."
.....items -- a car jack, crackerjacks, a telephone jack
....animals -- a jack -- male donkey
Is this just an English thing? I know that some of this is found in England -- the expression that comes to mind is "Jacks the lad!" There was also Jack the Ripper.
What about other countries that speak English -- Australia, do you use the word jack in your figures of speech? What about English speaking Canada?
I'd like to hear from others out there in blogland -- lend me your "jack" expressions!

9 comments:

Pat said...

I recall some of the slang lessons I taught in ESL as being among the most fun for ME as I watched the students be amazed (and often baffled) at the expressions we use here!

Doug said...

I think the expression is 'Jack the lad'. It is used to describe some one who is quick on the uptake to either say or do something only just legal!!
'Jack tar' a sailor.
Now you've got me thinking!!

Doug said...

Jack is the other, or familiar name, for John isn't it?
'Every man Jack'
'On your Jack' alone or 'Jack Jones' Cockney rhyming slang for alone.
'Jack of all Trades'
'Jack Frost'

Doug said...

Jack in the Box
The slang here in Ireland for the toilets is 'The Jacks'
'I'm all right Jack' means someone who looks after their own interests.
A flag, the 'Union Jack'
Steeplejack,Jack plane,Lumberjack the Jack in a pack of cards.........
Think of more later after I've taken the two girls to the airport!

Doug said...

The game of Jacks.
The Jack in a game of bowls....

Doug said...

'Jack it in' to give up.......

limpingalong said...

Good ones, Jack....oh, no, I mean Doug!

Shelina said...

I always liked jumping jacks for exercise.

limpingalong said...

Jumping Jacks weren't my favorite exercise but I certainly had to do enough of them in school!